It is encouraging to see the JMU student leadership holding an officer accountable for alcohol misconduct. Maybe there is a beginning student led movement to change the negative alcohol culture at JMU. The NIAAA report notes the need for student involvement as a necessary step to changing the alcohol culture at a university as noted below: (see link for full report: http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/NIAAACollegeMaterials/TaskForce/TaskForce_TOC.aspx)
- Campus-based task forces to direct prevention program efforts and develop specific strategies for promoting change in student organizations;
- Joint campus and community coalitions;
- Reviews of proposed policies before they are finalized;
- Judicial reviews by dormitory councils that hear cases of first alcohol infractions; and
- Training of student residence hall staff to eliminate communication of mixed messages about alcohol use on campus and improve consistent enforcement of alcohol policies.